Join the Next Wave of Women Coaches
Posted by: Kincaid Schmidt | Zone 1 Technical Director
Sport is one of the world’s most powerful social institutions and remains an important platform for shaping the perceptions and expectations of young people. A lack of exposure to women in leadership roles makes a lasting impression on both girls and boys. While the Colorado Rapids Youth Soccer Club is currently ahead of the industry average when it comes to engagement of women as coaches (23% of full-time, part-time and volunteer coaches at the club are female compared to an industry average of 13.4%), the vision of the club is to become known as an industry leader in the engagement of women as coaches.
In partnership with the Women in Youth Sports Coalition, WeCoach, and the DU Center for Performance Excellence (CPEX) the Colorado Rapids Youth Soccer Club presents the Next Wave Coach Academy. Through this program, the club engages the “next wave” of women coaches by creating an environment where women are encouraged to coach and provided a pathway tailored to each individual.
The Next Wave Coach Academy will provide candidates with:
- All prerequisite USSF courses to prepare for the USSF C License, including the Grassroots Courses and D License
- A minimum of one season of paid work experience with the potential to work more
- A dedicated mentor to help guide coaches along an individualized coaching pathway
- Professional development training including but not limited to resume development, leadership training, sports performance management and other skills applicable to coaching and leadership
- An actively supportive network of new and experienced coaches
Candidates must commit to:
- Coaching for CRYSC in their desired level of coaching for a minimum of one season (Winter 2018-2019 OR Spring 2019)
- Completion of two in-person licensing meetings (the first will take place November 9-10)
- Ongoing mentorship with a veteran coach with a minimum of 3 meetings over the course of 1 season
Interested candidates must submit an application in order to officially be considered for the upcoming Next Wave Coach Academy on November 9-10. Sessions will take place Friday evening and Saturday. Applications must be submitted electronically by October 30. Acceptances will be distributed via email on November 1. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected] For more information on this topic, visit the Next Wave’s previous blog entry.